Deposing Dictators

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Wed Aug 1 21:04:16 EDT 2001

Robin Becker wrote:

> In article <mailman.996694328.7115.python-list at python.org>, Tim Peters
> <tim.one at home.com> writes
> excuses and attributions elided.
>
> No matter who decided what it seems clear that the decision to go to /
> as float had already been taken long before the flamefest took place.

Sure. Guido has had around ten years to think over this decision and the
various arguments pro- and con-. If I where him I wouldn't sit through
an n-th repetition either.

> That makes python's development somewhat less than democratic.

Why do you think we call him a benevolent dictator????? I think that the
Perl and PHP worlds are a little (just a little) more democratic. I
don't like the result.

Anyhow, open source development is the ultimate democracy. If more than
50% (or even more than 1%) of the programmers are unhappy *overall* they
can split off and form their own project. George Bush is in power for
four years and until you get a chance to kick him out you DO NOT have
the option of vetoing or even voting on each and every one of his
decisions either.

> ... We get
> the chance to shout, but the DFL has already made the decision. In other
> words we get to take part in the decision making process if our views
> coincide with the dictator's.

No, you have the option to convince the DFL. Except when he's heard your
argument already, weighed it already and come to a different decision.

> At some point the DFL will make a decision that's wrong. I suppose the
> herd will have another group hug and accept it.

Guido makes lots of wrong decisions. Sometimes he even fixes them. Like
"/". Life goes on. Get used to it. I'm told Presidents of the United
States make mistakes and life goes on then too. I have a strong feeling
that if either Python or a country was run by consensus, there would be
more mistakes not less.

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.