sockets broken on New Install???

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Fri Aug 17 00:29:03 EDT 2001

Well, I have managed to get a working install, although I couldn't get
the SSL option to work for the sockets.

For completeness, I refer anyone interested to the following links where
the problem and solution are discussed in more detail:
http://www.aota.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8972

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2001-August/008052.html

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:37:11 GMT, Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net> wrote
in comp.lang.python in article
<shpnnto9suuk1smhikbloappjapn3rqjg6 at 4ax.com>:

:OK, so I *thought* I'd upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1.1. I have Linux host with
:shell account for my web site. I find my way around Linux with
:difficulty. (I'm really a Windows person <hangs head in shame>.)
:
:So, I got Python-2.1.1.tgz on my site, unzipped it, and went to the top
:directory and types:
:
:./configure --prefix=/big/dom/xthinkspot
:
:(that's the path to my top level directory)
:
:And that looked fine.
:
:Then I typed:
:make install
:
:and a bunch of stuff happened. And I now have a python2.1* executable in
:the /big/dom/xthinkspot/bin
:directory. And the python* points to it. (Fortunately, my python2.0* is
:still there, unaffected and functioning.)
:
:And all the Lib modules seem to have been copied to
:/big/dom/xthinkspot/lib/python2.1/*
:
:BUT when I ran the make test, I got error messages that indicate
:something is seriously wrong.
:
:119 tests OK.
:4 tests failed: test___all__ test_asynchat test_socket test_sundry
:16 tests skipped: test_al test_cd test_cl test_dl test_gl test_imgfile
:test_largefile test_linuxaudiodev test_minidom test_nis test_pyexpat
:test_sax test_socketserver test_sunaudiodev test_winreg test_winsound
:make: *** [test] Error 1
:
:Having sockets not work is a real problem.
:
:I brought up the 2.1.1 interpreter for an interactive session. I could
:import several different modules, such as os and string, but when I
:tried to import smtplib I get this error message:
:
:>>> import smtplib
:Traceback (most recent call last):
:  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
:  File "/big/dom/xthinkspot/lib/python2.1/smtplib.py", line 42, in ?
:    import socket
:  File "/big/dom/xthinkspot/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
:    from _socket import *
:ImportError: /big/dom/xthinkspot/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/_socket.so:
:undefined
: symbol: ERR_load_RSAREF_strings
:
:We just had a system upgrade last night. Went from an earlier Red Hat
:Linux to RH 6.2 and glibc went from glibc-2.0.7 to glibc-2.1.3, but I
:don't see why this should matter, since I'm recompiling and relinking
:from scratch?
:
:Please, help?