Any comments? My draft of a new PEP.

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Thu Aug 16 18:44:34 EDT 2001

>    To avoid long transition periods when a new Python feature requires a new
>    keyword, this PEP proposes to reserve a set of keywords "in advance".

A good idea overall, IMO.

>    abstract, directive, foreign, interface, static, yield

I think we'd have to talk seriously about _which_ keywords, and peronally believe
that Guido and team should handle the whole thing.

For example, I understand static from other contexts, but hate the word itself in those
other contexts; it smacks of "let's reuse the word again and again, even though I wasn't
sure of why I picked it in the first place." Surely there must be a better word. :-)

I question the usefulness of "abstract" to Python programmers. With dynamic dispatch,
any object which has a method or instance of the appropriate name satisfies the
interface requirement, yes? I can see an argument for "interface" for other reasons, but
I'm not seeing how these other reasons don't completely satisfy abstract?

C//