User preference file in Win32

Al Gonzalez alberto at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 25 17:42:18 EDT 2001

On Win 2000, you can also pull the the folder from
the APPDATA environment variable.

Or on both Windows NT and Win 2000, you can pull
the folder from the USERPROFILE environment variable.

Not sure about 98 and ME though?

"Gerhard Häring" <gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de> wrote in message
news:j376m9.pk2.ln at gargamel.hqd-internal...
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:21:24 -0400 (EDT), Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> >On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Gillou wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Sorry, this is not 100% Pythonic question, but as I'm in process to
write a
> >> Unix/Win32 app.
> >> I need to know where it's usual to store user preference (not in a
registry
> >> please) files for an app for Win32 applications (98,ME,NT,2000) as in
Unix,
> >> we may use something like "~/.myapp.conf"
>
> I think there is no easy way to get this right on all flavours of win32.
Every
> win32 implementation seems to have its own idea of how to do this.
>
> I can tell you how to do it on Windows 2000:
>
> The following registry keys refer to directories where programs can store
their
> configuration data. You normally create a subdirectory
> "{companyname}/{productname}" in this directory. I'd use the second
registry
> key (...\Shell Folders\AppData).
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment -> APPDATA
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
>     Shell Folders -> AppData
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
>     Shell Folders -> Local AppData
>
> This doesn't work on NT4, however. And the GUIs on top of DOS are entirely
> different again.
>
> >You have to create a private directory under 'Local Settings' under the
users
> >profile directory.
>
> This would have been the Windows 2000 case.
>
> Gerhard
> --
> mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
> web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    public key at homepage
> public key fingerprint: DEC1 1D02 5743 1159 CD20  A4B6 7B22 6575 86AB 43C0
> reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,map(lambda
x:chr(ord(x)^42),tuple('zS^BED\nX_FOY\x0b')))