[ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 20 00:19:21 EDT 2001

>I loathe and despise the communist types like St*llm*n who
> want to prevent anyone from owning their own software.

Have you actually *read* Stallman's own (philosophical) writings?  (As
opposed to charicatures by others, such as yours)?   For a programmer to
'own his/her own software' means, in practical terms, to be able to release
it under exactly the license terms he/she wants, and have those terms
respected/enforced.  That is what he and collaborators have done with the
GPL license and what you have done with yours.  Based on my reading of his
writings, I believe he would respect your right to do as you have done as
long as you have not used FSF software and violated its license  -- in
which case he would get cranky just as you promised you would in similar
circumstances.  In other words, he insists on owning his software (and
getscriticized for so doing) and I believe would respect that you own
yours, which is the opposite of what you attribute to him.  The term
'communist' should better be applied to people who want to take and use FSF
software without paying the price demanded (ie, source-code distribution
under the conditions specified).