ActiveState going the wrong way

Ben Wolfson wolfson at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 11 11:49:10 EDT 2001

In article <9b11k301hob at news2.newsguy.com>, "Alex Martelli"
<aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> They've been at it since (first historically recorded case AFAIK) the
> Druids repressed that newfangled invention, reading and writing, as it
> would damage people's abilities to memorize things if they knew they
> could always look them up again
[...]

Not that they were wrong about that.  Studies of bards in (I think) what
was then Yugoslavia showed that as literacy increased, the ability to
memorize epics decreased.  Much more detailed information is in Bernard
Knox's foreword to the Fagles translations of the Odyssey and Iliad, but
at the moment I don't have access to them.

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler
The women come and go,