ActiveState going the wrong way

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 03:27:38 EDT 2001

"Daniel Berlin" <dan at cgsoftware.com> wrote in message

"""
Maniac <Maniac at alltel.net> writes:
> I strongly disagree lack of autocompletion will in the short run (in your
> words lower productivity)  but will also increase the skill of the
> programmer by forcing you to look up functions and other such stuff that
> you accidently store in your brain and you are EGAD "forced" to learn
> something that the next time you're coding you happen to remember the
> function.  The process of "learning" can't be forgotten

Whoops, sorry to blow your entire argument out of the water, but this
entire paragraph is pure bullshit.
"""

Don't worry, the "we should eschew this helpful technology because
our minds would atrophize" brigade won't be deflected by any such
trifles as common sense, science, or realizing they're spewing BS.

They've been at it since (first historically recorded case AFAIK)
the Druids repressed that newfangled invention, reading and writing,
as it would damage people's abilities to memorize things if they
knew they could always look them up again (but I would not be
surprised to learn that there were some of them around earlier in
Lascaux, decrying this novel technology of painting -- how it
would damage the users' ability to actually recognize animals
to be hunted, if they got too familiar with the abstractions
involved in their painted forms, etc, etc...).

Alex