PyChecker - a python source code bug finder

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 16:55:48 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.986780712.1461.python-list at python.org>, Neal Norwitz <neal at metaslash.com>
writes
>David Lees wrote:
>
>> Looks useful, but the first thing I tried running it on is some threaded
>> socket code and checker.py seems to hang.  I think it is trying to run
>> the code, which is a problem, because it is not located on the right
>> machine for running.  I tried both from a DOS window in Win98SE using
>> Python 2.0 and also with PythonWin.
>
>Hmmm.  From in the interpretter, can you do import:
>
>        import your_module
>
>Does that work?  If you send me your code or a small subset that
>you are having the problem with, I can take a look.
>
>Neal

I get some oddities

1) I see messages like this
  c:\python\reportlab\graphics\charts\axes.py:588 Base class (reportlab.graphics.charts.axes.Val
ueAxis) __init__() not called

when the derived class explicitly calls the base class init. In the above case the line 588
looks like

    def __init__(self):
        ValueAxis.__init__(self)

where the class inherits from ValueAxis

I also see the following

  c:\python\reportlab\graphics\widgetbase.py:0 No __init__() in subclass (LinePl
otProperties)
  c:\python\reportlab\graphics\widgetbase.py:1 Imported module (time) not used
  c:\python\reportlab\graphics\widgetbase.py:1 Imported module (types) not used

here the filename widgetbase.py is the name of an imported module the messages seem to refer to
the importing module (the one actually being tested).

Still it seems quite useful. Can it do anything with unnecessary

from M import *
--
Robin Becker