Python IMAP Server Code?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 30 09:47:11 EDT 2001

"Paul Moore" <paul.moore at atosorigin.com> wrote in message
news:bspe1q80.fsf at atosorigin.com...
> Steve  Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com> writes:
> > Thanks. I was a little deterred by the protocol specs myself, but at the
> > time it was starting to look like the only easy (?) way to interface
Outlook
> > Express mai folders. Still might be easier than a plethora of mailbox
import
> > routines, but some of those are already available in the mailbox module.
>
> As an alternative, could you use a SMTP server (which is a *lot*
> easier to write in Python) and forward your mails through it?
>
> If you want to go this route, there's Mercury (see
> http://www.pmail.com) which does SMTP and POP3, so you can forward
> your mail into Mercury, and grab it out again using POP3. I did this
> quite successfully when switching from Outlook as my mail reader.

I understand Tim Peters has taken a similar route, but I don't like it
(possibly for spurious reasons). Forwarding a mail really implies
encapsulating it inside another envelope, from which it has to be removed at
its destination.  It's not difficult to extract attachments, of course, but
it's an extra and unnecessary step if I can extract data directly from the
folder files (which I now can).

Mercury does, however, look pretty neat.

regards
 StEVE