Can't run "Python-2.1.exe" under NT...

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Wed Apr 25 01:27:46 EDT 2001

[David Bolen]
> If anyone does look at an alternate installer (is the current Wise
> configuration in the CVS tree?),

Yes, the Wise script is the .wse file under PCbuild.  Nothing wrong with the
script <wink>, it's that we're still using the 5.0a version of the installer
builder Mark Hammond talked Wise into letting us use for free years & years
ago.

Getting a more modern thing going is probably my headache, but I have neither
a budget for it nor time to pursue it.  I've asked Wise Solutions whether
they'd like to let us use a modern edition of their builder instead, but
haven't yet heard back from them.

> I'd suggest going for InnoSetup.  Easy to configure, actively
> maintained, works nicely, and free.

Won't fly.  While the Python installation is *mostly* straightforward, on
NT/2000 boxes it has to do stuff conditionally depending on whether the user
is logged into an Admin account.  According to the InnoSetup FAQ as of  4
days ago, InnoSetup still can't handle that, and there's no way we're going
to ship two versions of the Windows installer (newbies have an amazing number
of severe difficulties choosing among the single installer we offer now <0.7
wink>).

Now in an ideal world, I'd like to add that capability and contribute it back
to InnoSetup.  But there's no way I can make time for that.  So how about
*you* do it <0.9 wink>?