Can't run "Python-2.1.exe" under NT...

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Apr 23 10:08:44 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:

> [Robin Dunn, reports on a Win2K install failure]
(...)
> > (I was also kinda surprisead that the installer was a 16-bit app...)
>
> Beggars can't be choosers, alas -- this is the 5.0a version of the Wise
> installer product, current maybe 6 years ago.  They wrote it long before
> Win2K or ME were even ideas <wink>.  I believe Mark Hammond talked them into
> letting Python use it for free, but he moved on from this role, and I haven't
> had the bandwidth to pursue a more modern alternative.

With past releases (I haven't tried the 2.1 pre-compiled installer
yet) I've had the installer generate an error (on my NT4sp4) system
about the 16-bit subsystem on startup, but skipping past it let things
run fine.  I've seen similar problems in other older 16-bit
installation packages, so at least for me it isn't specific to Python.

If anyone does look at an alternate installer (is the current Wise
configuration in the CVS tree?), I'd suggest going for InnoSetup.
Easy to configure, actively maintained, works nicely, and free.

--
-- David