Mobile Agents and Python (was Python Performance vs. C++ in a Complex System)

Alexandre Fayolle alf at leo.logilab.fr
Fri Apr 20 06:19:43 EDT 2001

On 20 Apr 2001 10:43:40 +0200, Alastair Burt <burt at dfki.de> wrote:

>I see Gossip is a platform for building mobile agents in Java.  I wondered
>if people have experience of programming mobile agents in Python.  It seems
>with Gossip (or ObjectSpace's Voyager) you could program in Jython.  Does
>anyone have any experience of this?  How does it compare to programming
>with Pyro[1]?

Do you know of the Knowbots system?

        <http://www.cnri.reston.va.us/home/koe/>

At some point in the future, Narval (http://www.logilab.org/narval/) will
also support agent mobility. As everything is stored in its memory (XML
data model) and was thought from the beginning to include this
possibility, all you need is dump the memory to text (straight to XML),
move it around (RPC?) and resume operations in another Narval interpreter.
Right now, things block on the "resume operations" step, that clearly
needs some work.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)