Windows madness

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz
Tue Apr 3 18:19:05 EDT 2001

"David Allen" <mda at idatar.com> wrote in message
news:O3ry6.5740$jL4.889493 at typhoon1.ba-dsg.net...
> I'm trying to find the cleanest way to get around some
> windows silliness.  Advice is appreciated.
>
> I'm writing an application under UNIX using Tkinter
> that I want to be portable to Windows.  As fate would
> have it,  I have two files in the project with the
> same name that differ by case.  Example:
>
> TOOL.py  # Main module for the TOOL
> tool.py  # Small script which just creates objects
>          # the right way, starts the prog, etc.
>
> As you might guess, this causes problems when they're
> in the same directory.  Furthermore, I can't even
> combine both of them into TOOL.py because when I
> unzip files on windows machines, it turns TOOL.py
> into "tool.py" and then my "import TOOL" fails
> since there's no file called "TOOL.py"

Well, you did say advice would be appreciated, so here it is:

Rename your modules and .py files (in any way you like) so that they are all
lower case.

And in future if you feel an urge to have 2 files in the same directory with
their names differing only in case, take an aspirin, go to bed. Tell
yourself it's just an attack of Unix madness and it should pass by the
morning.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research