Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Ken Seehof kens at sightreader.com
Mon Apr 2 17:05:06 EDT 2001

From: "Grant Griffin" <not.this at seebelow.org>
> . . .
> The essential trade in using Python is that you give up some run-time
> speed to pick up development-time speed--and that's almost always a good
> trade.  In any application where minimizing run-time speed isn't
> important, Python's your man.

Actually python is a perfectly good choice for applications where run-time
speed -is- important, provided that the 2% of the code where significant
CPU cycles are actually burnt are written in C or C++.  In many cases this
doesn't even require writing extensions since most time is spent inside
existing
libraries.  For example many scientists are using python for serious number-
crunching (using numeric python and related libraries).

I use python to trade irrelevant run-time speed for development-time speed.
And that is always a good trade. :-)