Tkinter and wxPython

Robert Amesz rcameszREMOVETHIS at dds.removethistoo.nl
Mon Apr 23 18:58:56 EDT 2001

Timothy Docker wrote:

> I've used both. Here's some points.
>
>     wxPython
>     --------
>     - Coding errors often show up as SEGV (unix) / app errors (win32)

Talking about Win32, that's not my experience: disregarding the nasty
COM-bug in the demo (not wxPython's fault anyway, AFAIK), wxPython has
always struck me as pretty forgiving when horsing around with it.

I once experimented with a handler for paint-events (painting text,
lines & bitmaps onto a canvas) and errors in that code always produced
nice tracebacks for each re-paint without crashing or even noticably
bothering the rest of the app. (Well, my owner-drawn stuff didn't get
painted, of course, but that was about the size of it.)

Having done a little Windows-programming myself, this impressed me: I
know from experience how easy it can be to produce nasty crashes.

Robert Amesz