Tkinter and wxPython

Timothy Docker timd at macquarie.com.au
Mon Apr 23 22:05:15 EDT 2001

rcameszREMOVETHIS at dds.removethistoo.nl (Robert Amesz) writes:

> Timothy Docker wrote:
>
> > I've used both. Here's some points.
> >
> >     wxPython
> >     --------
> >     - Coding errors often show up as SEGV (unix) / app errors (win32)
>
> Talking about Win32, that's not my experience: disregarding the nasty
> COM-bug in the demo (not wxPython's fault anyway, AFAIK), wxPython has
> always struck me as pretty forgiving when horsing around with it.

> Having done a little Windows-programming myself, this impressed me: I
> know from experience how easy it can be to produce nasty crashes.

Maybe I was unfair here. I've done most of the development under
wxGTK, and subsequently moved the results to windows. It's quite easy
to get wxGTK to crash.

Now I think about it, the only crashes I can remember under win32
related to a multi-threaded application, using PostEvent to
communicate between threads. Of course, when I fixed _my_ bugs,
the crashes where fixed.

Tim