Graduate thesis on Python-related subject

hat at se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl hat at se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl
Wed Apr 25 07:02:29 EDT 2001

In comp.lang.python, you wrote:

>I'm planning to do my graduate thesis (pro gradu) for MsC on (yet
>unconfirmed and still vague) subject tightly related to Python.  In
>short, the main goal is to test hypothesis that a program (or some other
>piece of code) written in a very high level language or scripting
>language (specifically Python in my study) is 3-10 times shorter
>measured in lines of code than a program written in traditional system

I consider this a somewhat naive hypothesis to test. If you take a problem that
needs primitives easily expressed in Python, and not in <another language>,
sure, the program is shorter.
(obvious example: string processing (although Perl is better at it)).

On the other hand, if I select a problem oriented for a logical language, and
I compare Python with Prolog, I know I can describe the problem in less code
in the latter langyage.

I consider #lines of code (in whatever definition of line) not very useful. In
fact, in the past years, I have moved away from considering #lines anything
near relevant.
The real criterium of choosing a language is thus different. I haven't figured
out what exactly, but concepts like 'readability' play an important role imho.

>forthcoming research would be to study measuring overall (why, what,
>how) and to speculate on scripting languages in general.  I know that
>the main subject (measuring Python programs) would be kind of "stating

Covering everything is way too complex imho.
There are good reasons for us to end up with a particular choice. In general,
we consider every choice we make the best option at that time.
That is valid for just about everything, from operating systems, editors,
favourite language, to the colour of the furniture.

In other words, I choose Python when I consider Python to be the best candidate
for the job, and I choose C++ when I consider that language better for the
particular problem I need to solve.

Therefore, I don't understand what you gain by comparing solving the same
problem in 2 languages, and comparing the result.

>research, so no new scientific results is required) is that hopefully
>this kind of work could be ("sort of") referenced and "the obvious"

Getting stuff mentioned is not that difficult. Getting stuff noticed is the
real challenge. In the latter case, you need to have a firm base of logical
assumptions. As I tried to do above, I am not convinced that #lines is anything
near relevant.

>would be somewhere stated explicitely.  Also my intention would be to
>study (possible) special features of Python.  Now (after the short
>introduction :-), my question would be:
>
>Is there "official" (or other) interest in such study?
>
>The reason for me to ask this is that in Helsinki University we are
>supposed to write graduate thesis in one's native language, but it is
>possible to write it in english.  Now, I'm still not sure whether I
>should write it in english.  If there would be some real interest for

You should reverse the question imho.
School is the last place where you can spend time learning. As soon as you
finish school, and go to work, you are supposed to work. That is, you perform
tricks you learned on school upon request from your boss.
(I know this is a somewhat negative attitude towards work, but he, I work at a
university... :-) )
The goal of work (and your boss) is to earn money, not to develop you further.

Learning anything after leaving school is a lot more difficult than before
leaving school. Also, at school you are allowed to fail. If you try writing
English, but it doesn't go as planned, you'll just need more time to finish the
thesis. In a company, you have a hard deadline of finishing a report, and if
you fail, you lose a customer (not something that you want to happen too often).

>this kind of study, I could very well write it in english.  (If I would
>get e-mail from the BDFL, I wouldn't have to hesitate at all ;-).
>Related, one has to do an explicit application to be allowed to write
>the thesis in english and a short motivation from someone other than me
>wouldn't hurt.  :-)

At the end of the year, there is 1 big Europe. Do you think finnish is the
common language that will be spoken in Europe ? I have some serious questions
with that assumption. In that perspective, your school should prepare its
students for a future in Europe rather than Finland.
(I have to confess that don't know whether Finland is part of Europe, but even
if it is not, having a big neighbour 'Europe' on the other side of the border
does have its impact).
For you, it means you can move around in Europe if you choose to do so.

Albert
--
Signature is being repaired, sorry for the inconvenience