Komodo: First Impressions

Pete Shinners shredwheat at mediaone.net
Sat Apr 7 14:21:34 EDT 2001

> I downloaded, installed, and played around with Komodo 1.0 for Windows this
> morning.  The following are my first impressions of this beast:

i've not tried the 1.0 release, but i've also been following
development. i agree that the debugger is wonderful. i've been
able to step through code that IDLE and pythonwin just couldn't
handle. i've also found it very well put together.

unfortunately, i've also been a bit surprised at the speed.
the speed has been so slow, it's not worth my time even firing
up the debugger to test some code. i'll be sticking to the
"old fashioned" method of debugging for now. i'm sad to hear
the 1.0 release didn't fix the speed problems (with debugging
code turned off?). but processors will get faster, and i'm sure
the code will be tuned a bit more. i'll be keeping my eye on
komodo while that is happening, hoping for the best.