Komodo: First Impressions

Daniel Klein danielk at aracnet.com
Sat Apr 7 17:18:48 EDT 2001

On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 18:21:34 GMT, "Pete Shinners" <shredwheat at mediaone.net>
wrote:

>> I downloaded, installed, and played around with Komodo 1.0 for Windows this
>> morning.  The following are my first impressions of this beast:
>
>i've not tried the 1.0 release, but i've also been following

Well then, what are you waiting for?

>unfortunately, i've also been a bit surprised at the speed.
>the speed has been so slow, it's not worth my time even firing
>up the debugger to test some code.

I don't find the speed that unsatisfactory. Ever used some of the Java IDE's
out there, like Forte (NetBeans) or VisualAge for Java? Those behemoths take 2
to 3 times longer to fire up and are a far cry slower than Komodo (probably
some of this is due to the fact that Java takes so blasted long to compile).

I think you need to cut some slack here seeing as there is bound to be a
certain performance tradeoff with the convenience features you are getting. To
be honest, I'm quite pleased with the product. Yea, it's got it's share of bugs
and buglets but then it's a 'beta' release, what do you expect? I see good
things becomming of this product and will stick with it. :-)

Daniel Klein