Stop python

Ken Seehof kens at sightreader.com
Mon Apr 23 03:11:47 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remco Gerlich" <scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 5:20 AM
Subject: Re: Stop python

> Ken Seehof <kens at sightreader.com> wrote in comp.lang.python:
> > Hey, this reminds me of a useless python idea I had a few years ago.
> >
> > First write a streaming preprocessor for python.  Make a fancy
> > importer that makes *.py dependent on *.ppy the same way *.pyc
> > is dependent on *.py.  Then add a preprocessor command "exit()".
> >
> > # example.ppy
> > print 'hello',
> > #!x=5
> > #!if x==5:
> > #!    print "print 'lumberjacks.'"
> > #!    exit()
> > print 'world.'
> >
> > This would be a fun project that I don't have time for.  Any idea why
> > it would be useful?  I might be willing to coauthor it if someone else
> > wants to do the import logic (custom importers make my head hurt).
> >
> > Of course it's most likely useless since python's a bit too dynamic to
> > really -need- a proprocessor, but I could be missing something.
> >
> > In case you are confused:
> >   The preprocessor copies lines that don't start with "#!".
> >   The preprocessor executes lines that start with "#!".
> >   The print statement (stdout) is redirected to preprocessor output.
>
> Would it be possible to nest these things? :-)

Sure, why not? :-)  It's difficult to come up with any practical reason
for doing this though.  I think on extra level of indirection it enough.
But hey, who cares about practical?  It's what's sexy that really
matters :-)

> And of course, the final output needn't be a Python program. Hmmmmm....

Indeed, the output could be HTML, in which case it is called PMZ.

http://www.suxers.de/python/pmz.htm

I'd love to see more stuff like this.  It's fun!