Stop python

Ken Seehof kens at sightreader.com
Mon Apr 16 20:13:37 EDT 2001

Hey, this reminds me of a useless python idea I had a few years ago.

First write a streaming preprocessor for python.  Make a fancy
importer that makes *.py dependent on *.ppy the same way *.pyc
is dependent on *.py.  Then add a preprocessor command "exit()".

# example.ppy
print 'hello',
#!x=5
#!if x==5:
#!    print "print 'lumberjacks.'"
#!    exit()
print 'world.'

This would be a fun project that I don't have time for.  Any idea why
it would be useful?  I might be willing to coauthor it if someone else
wants to do the import logic (custom importers make my head hurt).

Of course it's most likely useless since python's a bit too dynamic to
really -need- a proprocessor, but I could be missing something.

In case you are confused:
  The preprocessor copies lines that don't start with "#!".
  The preprocessor executes lines that start with "#!".
  The print statement (stdout) is redirected to preprocessor output.