Win32 / MS Binder

Matthew Turk m-turk at nwu.edu
Tue Apr 24 11:49:28 EDT 2001

Hi there!  I've been doing COM programming through Python (usually
pretty basic stuff) for a while, and I don't think I've ever run into
this type of error before.

(It can be done through VB - I did test that - but why would I want to
compromise like that? :)

Anyway, what I'm doing involves a binder.  Those're the non-default
install file collection types that MS includes with Office.  I had to
explicitly install them, so if anybody is following along at home they
will need to as well...  ;-)

Anyhow!  I can create the object, and even manipulate it to some
extent, but whenever I execute a command of the form

binder.Sections.Add(FileName = "whatever")

it says COM error - invalid argument.  I'm pretty sure the keyword is
correct - it's directly out of hte MS Help file, as well as I get
invalid keyword errors when I try filename or Filename or fileName.
Now, this obviously adds a specific file.  But when I try to add a new
section by *type* instead of by file, it works perfectly (i.e.
binder.Sections.Add(Type = "Excel.Sheet") or some such).

Well - I was hoping maybe somebody had some suggestion for where to go
with this.  It's pretty important that I be able to add files by
filename...  Thanks for any help you can give!

(And hey, if I've left something stupid and important out of the
message, well, that's my fault and I'll be sure to fix it if you point
it out.  :)

mjt
--
"Having said that, music is supposed to be
 in the world for celebration, ritual, and