Tkinter and wxPython

Coy Krill ckrill at qvlinc.com
Fri Apr 20 13:11:24 EDT 2001

Timothy Grant wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have seen the GUI wars here, and have for the most part
> ignored them. I am now in a situation where I need input.
>
> We have a project that involves a simple GUI--at the moment--
> that will be getting significantly more complex as the summer
> goes on.
>
> Before we get to far in the project I'm trying to consider my
> options.
>
> Here's our analysis so far:
>
> Tkinter
> -------
> Defacto standard
> Faster to code
> Easier to layout complex screens
> Proven (we know it works)
>
> on the down side, it feels slow.
>
> wxPython
> --------
> Looks significantly better
> More robust widget set
> feels faster
> The author works two blocks away (Hi Robin!)
>
> on the down side, it is unproven and is not the defacto
> standard.
>
> So, I'm looking for people that have changed projects from one
> toolkit to the other and the reasons why they changed.

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Stand Fast,
>     tjg.
>
> Timothy Grant                                www.hyperlinq.net
> Chief Technology Officer                     tjg at hyperlinq.net
> HyperLINq Technologies, Inc.                <>< (503) 246-3630

I used to use Tkinter, but I don't care for the widgets and despite the
great book by Grayson. I just don't like Tk.  I looked at wxPython and
gave up on it because it was eternally crashing in it's own demos.

Now I use PyQt.  Why?  It's very good.  The widgets, there coding and
their use is more logical to me, if that statement makes any sense.  I
wrote a quick and dirty check writer in less than 2 work days and I
didn't know anything about PyQt or Qt at the time.  I read through
Boudewin Rempt and Cameron Lairds PyQt article and wrote the code.

For a GUI designer you can just the Qt Designer (which I really like),
or you can also go the commercial route and get BlackAdder (which I have
the Personal version of and plan on getting the Business edition of).