Ann: ActivePython 2.1 (build 210)

Stephen news at myNOSPAM.org
Thu Apr 19 20:33:45 EDT 2001

    BeOpen was the company that sponsored GvR/et-al for the period when they
released 2.0, so "BeOpen Python" is just 'Python 2.0'. For that
'distribution', ignore 'BeOpen', and just think, 'Python 2.0'. Its all it
is, with a branded name on it. Now we're up to 2.1, and as far as I am
aware, there are only two "distributions" of it.

    The Official one, which is downloadable from www.python.org, and the
ActiveState one. ActivePython is the Official distribution, with a few bells
and whistles added, I believe.

    Zope includes its own version of Python 1.5.2 because it hasn't yet been
"upgraded" to support Python 2.0+. When that occurs, they'll start shipping
it with 2.x. They may still continue to bundle their own Python interpreter,
even after its upgraded to 2.x, to make sure that everything works well
together. Then again, they may not.

    As for Komodo, I don't know :) I don't have it installed currently, just
did a massive hdd-wipe and reinstall (Doncha love running windows?) so I
can't tell you. If memory serves, though, you could tell it to use whatever
python interpreter you choose that is installed; there's a configuration
option.

HTH,

--Stephen
(replace 'NOSPAM' with 'seraph' to respond)

news:3ADF7843.42C686AD at yahoo.com...