list vs tuple

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 2 12:06:49 EDT 2001

Quoth Mike Prager <mprager at alum.mit.edu>:

| I repeat that I'm not expressing an opinion about what is
| "better," just that Python's behavior is somewhat
| idiosyncratic and should carry a caution label for beginners.

I don't know if I would have put it that way, but we agree that
it should be on the introductory documentation plate.  There are
some who feel that the object/reference model shouldn't need to
be explained, it will just work and people will naturally get it.
You don't need to be as obtuse as Mr. deadmeat to miss the boat
on that, though, and it's a shame because this is one of the
real jewels of Python, when you understand it.

I suspect the big challenge here is that the Python world has
bought into the notion that Python can be the programming language
for non-programmers, and they can't see sitting down with a
not-even-wannabe-programmer and explaining references.  Therefore,
it must not be necessary to understand references to write useful
programs in Python.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu