Nested Scopes in Idle/PythonWin

Greg Chapman glc at well.com
Sun Apr 22 21:35:49 EDT 2001

On 22 Apr 2001 23:51:14 -0000, Tim Peters wrote:
> For nested scopes I didn't consider this to be more than a minor
> nuisance at worst

I agree it is only a minor nuisance.  Let me just suggest that if there is
an interim release of 2.1, you add a note to this section of the NEWS file:

  - The nested scopes work (enabled by "from __future__ import
    nested_scopes") is completed; in particular, the future now extends
    into code executed through exec, eval() and execfile(), and into the
    interactive interpreter.

That led me to believe that nested scopes should be working in the Idle
interactive interpreter, and so then I got curious as to why they didn't.
It might be worthwhile to include some of the PEP text there so that others
will not be misled.