bzip2 extension exist for python?

Jan Dries jdries at mail.com
Sun Apr 1 17:57:29 EDT 2001

Moshe Zadka wrote:
> > Does Python have a bzip2 extension?  I'm looking for something that
> > resembles the functionality of the gzip module.
>
> You shouldn't worry about idiotic things like bzip2, when superior
> technologies like lzip (http://lzip.sourceforge.net). I am now working
> on a reimplementation of lzip in Python, since I feel the current lzip
> code base is too messy to use. Expect updates!

This is truly fantastic, unlike anything I've ever seen before.
Since you are reimplementing it in Python, just some thoughts: I did a
quick analysis of the Lessis-Moore algorithm, and it has occured to me
that if one were to put an md5-filter in front, filtering all the data
prior to feeding it into the LM-algorightm, it could achieve even
greater compression. And of course, for the unzip one could simply use
reverse md5.

Jan