ActivePython 2.1 (build 210)

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Fri Apr 20 09:23:16 EDT 2001

Mark Hadfield wrote:

> "Do not install ActivePython to a directory with a space in the name. This
> causes problems on some variants of Windows with some service pack levels.
> We have not yet been able to compile a comprehensive list."

> Also, there are a few shortcuts around the place that are lacking quotes
> around file names. And likely as not a few registry entries but I haven't
> looked thoroughly. But these rough edges will never be ironed out if you
> chicken out and tell people not to install to a directory with a space in
> the name.

As I said, we are working out which variants of Windows require quotes
in which places to get which of the utilities to work. Even though
people download it freely, we don't think it is right to tell our
customers to do our quality assurance for us. If we don't know it works,
we will give a warning.

Once we have tested all of the utilities and modules with all of the
windows version/patchlevel/file system/installer variants, we will give
our customers the go-ahead to use space-based file names. Our experience
in testing was that fixing these sorts of things for one variant of
windows with one version of the installer technology could cause
problems on another. We did not have opportunity to work out the matrix
and make conditions in the installer.

BTW, the quotes around the path do not, as far as we know, cause any
serious problems on any variant of Windows. On the other hand, it may be
that we were over-conservative in adding them. I'll check with our QA
and installer guys about that.

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.