[ANNOUNCE] AHTS, A HTML Templating System

ben at co.and.co ben at co.and.co
Sat Apr 7 08:15:16 EDT 2001

Peter Kleynjan <kleynjan at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>AHTS stands for A HTML Templating System. It is an implementation of the
>>templating system invented by Ars Digita, ACS Templating, in Python.
>
> This might be a godsend, Ben.

Wow, feedback :-)

> The ACS stuff is impressive, but until now it was always two tools
> beyond our comfort zone, with AOLserver, Tcl etc. AHTS looks like it
> might be just the ticket!

I hope so. Please let me know. There's a mailinglist you can ask
questions on.

Just a small warning: Performance is not stellar, but I'm looking after
it. The python profiler shows that 80% of the time is spent in the
scanner, but the profiler's timings and my own scientific test method
($ time webify.py ..., where webify is a python script that builds one
page of the website) are not agreeing. The profiler says it took 0.8 sec
to parse and write a webpage, while time says 3 sec. I attribute this to
the python interpreter startup time and the fact that the Scanner needs
to reconstructed every time.

(Sir Greg Ewing, is there a way to let Plex generate Python-code, besides
 pickling the lexicon?)

> BTW, have you seen the bigwig system? http://www.brics.dk/bigwig/
> This looks more like a research project but you might find it
> interesting anyway. The Javascript validation engine is awesome...

It looks interesting but over the top for my purposes. Besides, it's yet
another template syntax.

Greetings,
--
ben . de . rydt at pandora . be ------------------ your comments