driving Internet Explorer with Python

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Thu Apr 5 07:04:16 EDT 2001

Greg Wilson:
> I would like to use Python to script a simple slideshow with Internet
> Explorer, and to get IE to print pages to particular devices (in my case,
> the Acrobat PDFWriter). If anyone has experience with calling the IE COM
> interface from Python, I'd be very grateful for pointers.

   I have done some work on Python and IE but it was a couple of years ago
so I'll just point out some demonstrations in the Win32 extensions.

   There is a demonstration of running IE as a COM Control within PythonWin
at Pythonwin\pywin\Demos\ocx\webbrowser.py but this appears to have a small
bug in that the onloine help has moved from under it so, instead, change
line 23 to point at a real URL like:
   self.url = "http://www.scintilla.org"
   This demonstration must be run from within PythonWin or it crashes.

   There is demonstration of running IE in a separate process at
win32com\test\testExplorer.py

   There are more examples involving running Python scripts inside IE in the
win32comext\axscript\demos\client\ie directory.

   Scripting IE is a /huge/ topic. I had a look and couldn't find a way to
print to a particular device.

   Neil