Komodo in violation of Mozilla Public License?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 11 13:49:44 EDT 2001

  >> However, despite the probable legality of Komodo's license, my
  >> own opinion is that ActiveState would be a lot more likable with
  >> a more community-oriented license.

  DA> Likable, probably -- but also, very possibly, out of business.
  DA> We (ActiveState) are in the fairly unusual position of trying to
  DA> be both valued community members and a successful business at
  DA> the same time.  There are still few businesses trying to do
  DA> this, and even fewer successful businesses.  Thanks for your
  DA> patience as we continually evolve our business model to fit with
  DA> the communities we serve as well as satisfy the needs of running
  DA> a business (which includes paying people =).

Speaking as a former employee of a Python company that is out of
business and may have been likable, I think ActiveState's position on
Komodo is reasonable.  (Same goes for Archaeoptryx and SecretLabs.)
ActiveState employees have contributed in many important ways to
Python.  I'd love to see Komodo be free, but I can't think of a way to
run a successful business around a free IDE.

Jeremy

PS When you download Komodo, do you get the source?