HELP! Installing BeOPEN Python 2.0 on Red Hat 7.0

Bob Kummerfeld bob at staff.cs.usyd.edu.au
Mon Apr 2 21:12:15 EDT 2001

I suggest you stay with the Python (1.5.2) that comes with Red Hat 7.0.
Getting Python 2.0 to work is possible but not easy for a Linux novice!

To get it work I had to download the stable version of gcc (source code)
and build it, because the gcc delivered with Red Hat is an experimental
version that doesn't work. Then build python 2.0 from source (that's the
easy part).

Alternatively, move to a better Linux distribution eg Mandrake or
Debian.

Bob Kummerfeld
University of Sydney