[pythonwin] find() failing?

Bill Seitz fluxent at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 13:45:52 EDT 2001

Getting a weird bug I can't figure out. I'm running
Python within IIS. I'm coming from a form with 2
buttons, so they set an input named 'act'. I'm
grabbing that parameter, as well as the others, from a
dictionary named 'field'.

Then I'm deciding which lump of code to run based on
the button value.

Here's the little snippet of code:

act= field['act']
import string
if string.find(act, 'reject') > -1:

And here's what happens every time:

Error Type:
Python ActiveX Scripting Engine (0x80020009)
Traceback (innermost last): File "<Script Block >",
line 20, in ? if string.find(act, 'reject') > -1: File
"c:\python20\lib\string.py", line 172, in find return
s.find(*args) File
"c:\python20\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 435, in
__getattr__ raise AttributeError, "%s.%s" %
(self._username_, attr) AttributeError: <unknown>.find

I've tried inserting a simple line to output 'act',
and it works, confirming that the value exists and is
coming through.

So why is the find generating an exception?