GUI Toolkit API?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 22 16:51:43 EDT 2001

Vadim Zeitlin <zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2001 18:12:18 GMT, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at rempt.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>However, if you want to have all the great extensions that
>>every toolkit provides, then you'll have to write emulation code for
>>the missing bits, _if_ you're set on using what's already available.
>>That's the position of wxWindows. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I rather
>>had the impression that all the really interesting, high-level widgets
>>wxWindows offers are custom-coded for wxWindows, like the html-widget.

>  wxHTML is one of the rare examples - most of the other other controls are
> implemented natively at least on one platforms (usually Win32 where the native
> LNF is the most important). I think only wxGrid doesn't have any native
> implementations - the other high-level widgets such as wxTreeCtrl or
> wxListCtrl are implemented natively under Win32. Maybe someone will write the
> GTK+ versions of those one day as well (in fact, they do exist, but wxWin
> versions are better and so nobody is interested in using/improving them).

That's more or less what I mean - if platform A has a great X, then
you'll want to emulate that on platform B and C - and if sometimes you
have to write something fresh anyway - with the chance of creating
something that's better than anything already in existence.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org | Christos Voskrese!