[ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at usa.net
Sat Apr 21 01:46:23 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

> "Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at usa.net> wrote in message
> news:mailman.987738512.19013.python-list at python.org...
> >
> > I'm not sure how it's a consequence.  Your copyright protects you
exactly
> > as much with or without the source code.  Ignoring patches/diffs is
about
> > as hard as ignoring spam (which I'm sure you do every day, just like
me).

> Is that a deliberately dumb comment, or are you just unaware that one of
the
> rights of copyright is the right to make derivative works?

Let's not get rude, even in a divisive thread like this.  The beauty of this
list has always been the politeness (esp. compared to certain other
language-
oriented newsgroups/lists).

Yes, I am aware of that fact, and I am also aware that the right is not
automatically granted.  If he writes his license correctly (from his POV,
allowing no derivative works) then my assertion is correct.

Or are you saying I have misunderstood something else?  After all, I am no
lawyer.

> It is way easier
> to make a derivative work if you have the source code.  In the real world,
> if it's easier for someone to transgress, then your copyright enforcement
> problem is more difficult.

True.  But in the real world, harder transgressions simply attract more
determined transgressors.  As our friend Kamikaze says, there are tools to
help
decompile his code, leading to his cranky reaction.