AIX ./configure for Python 2.1 to use gcc instead of cc_r ?

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Apr 23 08:29:01 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Steve Purcell wrote:

> Try the following:
>
>   ./configure --with-gcc

Thank you. That did work (gcc --version reporting 2.95.2), I now only get
a few failed regression tests, probably mostly due to missing libraries.

test test_zipfile skipped --  No module named zlib
test_zlib
test test_zlib skipped --  No module named zlib
113 tests OK.
2 tests failed: test___all__ test_pty
22 tests skipped: test_al test_bsddb test_cd test_cl test_dl test_gdbm
test_gl test_gzip test_imgfile test_largefile test_linuxaudiodev
test_minidom test_nis test_openpty test_pyexpat test_sax test_sunaudiodev
test_sundry test_winreg test_winsound test_zipfile test_zlib

Freeze seems to work, too:

 python freeze.py hello.py
 make
 ./hello
 Hello world...

so I'm happy.

I would suggest that ./configure --with-gcc should be made default, as
cc_r (don't know which version) has trouble with Python 2.1.