startup, sys.path, and 2.0b1

Art Haas arthur.haas at westgeo.com
Tue Sep 12 11:58:26 EDT 2000

I've encountered an oddity with the beta. I'd built and tested the
python executable, and it tests well. If I try to run it, though, I
get an error saying it can't find the `site' module. I found it in the
`Lib' subdirectory, though, and I can read it.

After a bit of poking around, I checked sys.path, and it looked
something like this (formatting changed for posting) ...

/opt/build/Python-2.0b1/lib/python2.0
/opt/build/Python-2.0b1/lib/python2.0/lib-tk
/opt/build/Python-2.0b1/lib/python2.0/plat-linux2

I'd built things in `/opt/build/Python-2.0b1', and I'm writing this
while at work and the problem is on my home box, so the ordering may
be off.

What I'm stumped about is I built the beta at work, and I don't see
this behavior. Again, it built and tested cleanly. If I try to run it,
it starts up perfectly, and the sys.path on it looks like

/home/cs004/gnu/Python-2.0b1/Lib/
/home/cs004/gnu/Python-2.0b1/Lib/plat-linux2
/home/cs004/gnu/Python-2.0b1/Lib/lib-tk
/home/cs004/gnu/Python-2.0b1/Lib/Modules

My uninstalled work build is looking in the correct directories, but
the build at home, also uninstalled, is looking in the directories as
if it has been installed.

This is puzzling me. Any suggestions as for what to look for would be
greatly welcomed. I don't discount the possibility that I've done
something stupid, or am overlooking the obvious.