Digital I/O - Comedi - Extension to Python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Sep 28 00:00:20 EDT 2000

Blaine Lee wrote:

> Does anyone use Comedi (or some other method) to communicate with
> external hardware?

Comedi, no.  "or some other method", yes.  We're using a GPIB card from
National Instruments to talk to instruments over GPIB.  The card comes
with a DLL for Windows (also avail for Un*x I believe) which we wrapped
with the calldll module.

> FYI Comedi is a driver for ISA and PCI based Analog and Digital I/O.

If there's a DLL, you can wrap it and use Python for all the high level
stuff.

Don't count on any kind of hard real-time performance, of course, but
dang if it isn't the easiest way to control external hardware that I've
ever seen! :)