compiling python on Mac OS X Beta

Johann Hibschman johann at physics.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 21 14:16:56 EDT 2000

Steven D Majewski writes:

> The developer tools for OSX beta haven't shipped yet. Have you
> loaded the Darwin developer tools on top of OSX, or do you have
> tools from DP4 ?

As a cheap graduate student, I don't have a subscription to the
development tools, so I downloaded the Darwin 1.0.2 distribution,
mounted the disk image, and copied the development tools over from
there.  Horrible hackery, yes.  I think the two options are that
either I somehow missed a header file (unlikely) or that the autoconf
setup got some mojo wrong in a way that I don't understand yet.

There are quite a few things which could have gone wrong, and I'm not
yet familiar with the OS X headers, etc., so I'll keep working on it.
Now if I'd been running FreeBSD for the past few years rather than
Linux, maybe I'd have a better sense... ;-)

If this is cc'd over to python-dev, I can always beg Ping for
assistance...  :-)

Johann Hibschman                           johann at physics.berkeley.edu