compiling python on Mac OS X Beta

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Thu Sep 21 14:56:59 EDT 2000

On 21 Sep 2000, Johann Hibschman wrote:

> Steven D Majewski writes:
>
> > The developer tools for OSX beta haven't shipped yet. Have you
> > loaded the Darwin developer tools on top of OSX, or do you have
> > tools from DP4 ?
>
> As a cheap graduate student, I don't have a subscription to the
> development tools, so I downloaded the Darwin 1.0.2 distribution,
> mounted the disk image, and copied the development tools over from
> there.  Horrible hackery, yes.  I think the two options are that
> either I somehow missed a header file (unlikely) or that the autoconf
> setup got some mojo wrong in a way that I don't understand yet.
>
> There are quite a few things which could have gone wrong, and I'm not
> yet familiar with the OS X headers, etc., so I'll keep working on it.
> Now if I'd been running FreeBSD for the past few years rather than
> Linux, maybe I'd have a better sense... ;-)

I think there have been a lot of changes since 1.0.2 -- if you want
to develop without the OSX developer kit, you should update 1.0.2
from the CVS server. ( missing header files and the new config.guess
are what I can recall off the top -- look in the mailing list archives
for details.) I suspect that there'll be a new Darwin release
coming along soon, but "soon" is probably not before they manage
to get the OSX developer kit out the door!

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."