Python 2.0b1 is released!

Steve Williams sandj.williams at gte.net
Sun Sep 10 20:36:43 EDT 2000

Ach, you programmers.  You and your software don't recogize the time
dimension--never have and never will.  My file layout today is good for
eternity.

If the lawyer says we're going to interpret the license under the laws
of the Grand Duchy of Gerolstein, we need to pause for a moment and ask
ourselves "who's going to be running the ol' fiefdom in 10 years?"

You surely don't want to be called in the middle of the night, 10 years
from now, by a divorce lawyer saying you owe his client 10 million
dollars because you used some software created by an evil spouse 10
years ago and he just bought off the legislature.

Do you?

If I had 50 billion bucks, I could buy a lot of legislatures.  Maryland
ain't even in it.

Can you spell UCITA?  Sure, I knew you could.

You gotta nail these things down "in perpetuity", to coin a phrase.

Like Stallman says, the only peculiar thing is the CNRI lawyers think
they're conforming to the GPL.

Steve Williams