Compiling Python 1.6 under MacOS X ...

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Sat Sep 23 17:48:55 EDT 2000

 The Apple version of gcc has forked as it has some special mods
for objective-C. There are plans to get it back in sync with
the standard distribution eventually.

 It's probably worth asking about this on the macosx or darwin
lists in case this is a bug someone has run into before.

 Working os OSX is still bleeding edge: I heven't even gotten my
CD yet, so I can't  test it out myself. Those luck enough to
get theirs first also get the pleasure of finding all the bugs
first!

 BTW: What are the chances of fixing the mixed case gotcha
in the 2.0 distribution, instead of asking all the OSX users
to patch it?
 If "Python" directory and "python" executable is the only
conflict, maybe it's easier to make the target "python2.0"
or something. ( I will check this out myself ASAP, but I'm
asking now because of Tim's speak-now-or-forever-hold-your-peace-ly
comment in another 2.0 beta thread. )

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."