Compiling Python 1.6 under MacOS X ...

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 23 19:26:25 EDT 2000

[ Steven D. Majewski]
> ,,,
>  BTW: What are the chances of fixing the mixed case gotcha
> in the 2.0 distribution, instead of asking all the OSX users
> to patch it?

I have no idea what this is about (and really don't want to obtain one
<wink>), but the chances are excellent if somebody posts a patch to
SourceForge, and approximately 0 otherwise.

Do ask Jack Jansen.  He's the only regular Python Mac developer these days
(we'd be delighted to have you too, Steven!).

>  If "Python" directory and "python" executable is the only
> conflict, maybe it's easier to make the target "python2.0"
> or something. ( I will check this out myself ASAP, but I'm
> asking now because of Tim's speak-now-or-forever-hold-your-peace-ly
> comment in another 2.0 beta thread. )

'Twasn't a threat, 'twas explaining a consequence of how time works:  if
somebody waits until after 2.0final is released to bitch about 2.0final,
there's only so much Guido's time machine can do to address their complaint
before 2.0final is released.  We don't endure the pain of making beta
releases because we enjoy it -- we do it so we can have plausible
deniability when somebody bitches about 2.0 final <wink>.

that's-right-it's-all-a-ploy-to-cover-our-asses-ly y'rs  - tim