Civility in the Marketplace of Ideas [was: Public Domain Python]

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sat Sep 23 05:32:34 EDT 2000

Steven D. Majewski wrote:

> <http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/print/2322/>
>
> [ ... ]
>
> "But what mystifies me the most is the amount of vehemence that Richard
> Stallman provokes whenever he weighs in on a subject.

Well, as a certain historical figure said, "There's no such thing as bad
publicity."  (Actually, I think that was actually the _only_ memorable
thing that historical figure ever said.)

> I have seen this
> time and time again, most recently regarding licensing issues surrounding
> KDE, Qt, and Python. In these cases, RMS was asked his opinion regarding
> licenses by many folks--including TrollTech, BeOpen, and Linux Today--and
> in each case Stallman responded in a professional and constructive
> manner. He didn't go out in search of fights, and in the case of
> TrollTech and BeOpen I was told both on and off the record that RMS had
> proven to be very helpful. Similarly, when we were seeking comments on
> licensing issues for LinuxToday, RMS was very helpful. "

The cynic in me is tempted to suggest that perhaps he's _always_ helpful
to those who show him deference--which is a very good reason to show him
deference.  (BTW, does he wear a ring for people to kiss? <wink>)

It makes good sense to consult RMS on legal issues of GPL compatibility
concerns vis-a-vis new licenses of major open-source projects, but
clearly that has not just a "legal" but "political" dimension.  Since
the GPL has never been tested in court, a license currently is "GPL
compatible" if and only if RMS says it is: GPL adherents accept his
"benign dictatorship" on that.

(BTW, if the term "dictator" isn't appropriate, what _do_ we call
someone who has sole, personal legal authority? <wink>)

> "That's why it's so distressing to me to see the reaction he engendered
> from people on Linux Today and Slashdot. The talkbacks in both public
> forums were filled with anger and denouncement. He was called a fascist,
> a dictator, and a communist. Readers felt compelled to make pointed
> personal attacks on RMS in the course of disagreeing with him. " [ ... ]

They shouldn't do that: there's enough to disagree with in Richard
Stallman's ideas that I don't think anybody should waste their time and
energy making attacks on him as a person.  (Besides, maybe he's actually
a nice guy underneath all that gruff iconclasticism. ;-)

Personally, I've sometimes thought of Mr. Stallman as "disingenouous"
(as evidenced by the logical inconsistencies in his writing), but I
guess a more charitable reading of that would be merely "bewildered".
(I'm pretty sure that didn't come across as a statement of "anger", but
I guess one _could_ read a teensy bit of "denouncement" into it. <wink>)

But another historical figure has some good advice for Mr. Stallman: "If
you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

people-who-consistently-and-vehemently-promote-controversial-ideas
   -are-likely-to-suffer-unwarranted-personal-heat-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com