What is Python?

Ian Hobson ian.hobson at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 27 14:33:20 EDT 2000

In article <39D22A2E.5D870956 at san.rr.com>, Darren New <dnew at san.rr.com>
writes

>I think if it was "thou program" then it's 3rd person that's "wrong", while
>if it's "thou programs" it's first person that's "wrong".
>
>From ear, "thou programmest" sounds more correct.

And the 3rd singular s used to be eth - "He programmeth"

Don't forget that English has suffered a Norman attempt to impose Norman
grammar along with many words (now shared with French), a prolonged
attempt to impose Latin rules where they did not belong, and a few
hundred years of being the language of Empire, thus gaining many strange
and exotic words from all parts of the globe.

The result is a simple grammar, a huge vocabulary, and spelling rules
with exceptions to make you nauseous!

How did we get THIS far off-topic?   :)

Ian

Ian Hobson

Every time we teach a child something, we prevent him from inventing
it himself. - Jean Piaget