Is Python worth learning?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Sep 4 14:11:15 EDT 2000

In article <F%Os5.132122$QD5.1566888 at news.corecomm.net>, lynx  <a at b.c> wrote:
			.
>python wasn't designed to do the sort of things java was designed to do,
>and vice versa. they have some overlap, but they aren't direct competitors.

... depending on what one understands by "direct competitors".
There certainly are PLENTY of development teams around the world
who at least occasionally say, "OK, we're going to create a Q
over the next J months, and we've narrowed down our choice of
implementation language to either Java or Python.  To decide be-
tween them, we'll ..."

I quibble over the point, because I don't want a newcomer wander-
ing by, noticing what you've written, and reporting back to the
rest of his tribe, "The experts say Python can't compete with
Java.  It doesn't do the things Java does."

It would disturb me marginally less if such a tale went back with
"Python" and "Java" swapped.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net