JPython, a viable alternative to Java???

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Fri Sep 1 14:15:04 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:
> I think it's possible to write applets in JPython (haven't done it myself,
> but I've seen it mentioned as feasible...).

It's certainly possible; the remote microscope
<http://www.mems-exchange.org/exchange/software/microscope/> uses a
Java client applet written mostly in JPython; it hasn't been
translated to Java yet out of laziness.  The drawbacks to writing
applets in JPython are 1) that the applet's .jar file ends up being
large (~250K) since it contains the JPython runtime, and 2) you can't
make signed applets for complicated reasons.  But if you actually have
the backbone to translate from a JPython prototype to Java once the
code is done, it would be a good prototyping tool.

--amk