JPython, a viable alternative to Java???

Calvelo Daniel dcalvelo at pharion.univ-lille2.fr
Fri Sep 1 15:38:07 EDT 2000

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:
: "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:
:> I think it's possible to write applets in JPython (haven't done it myself,
:> but I've seen it mentioned as feasible...).

: It's certainly possible; the remote microscope
: <http://www.mems-exchange.org/exchange/software/microscope/> uses a
: Java client applet written mostly in JPython; it hasn't been
: translated to Java yet out of laziness.  The drawbacks to writing
: applets in JPython are 1) that the applet's .jar file ends up being
: large (~250K) since it contains the JPython runtime, and 2) you can't
: make signed applets for complicated reasons.  But if you actually have
: the backbone to translate from a JPython prototype to Java once the
: code is done, it would be a good prototyping tool.

Could you elaborate your second point? Does that apply to any JPython applet
or are there identified quirks to it?

(Somebody next door is in the making of JPython signed applets, which seem
to work for Netscape on Linux but not on Windows, for instance. Weird.)

Thanks.

Daniel.

-- Daniel Calvelo Aros
     calvelo at lifl.fr