Python 2.0b1 is released!

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Tue Sep 12 05:54:42 EDT 2000

[Peter Sommerfeld]
> There is a simple solution: restart (stackless:-) with a clean
> sheet of paper and release it in the public domain. This will
> take a while

We've thought about that, but Fred Drake still wants to feed his kids for a
few more years, and unlike most projects, we love our doc dept <wink>.

> but the legal issue will follow Python's livetime and will
> probably cause serious damage. Well,...

Which legal issue is that?  GPL compatibility?  That's currently in dispute,
but I see no reason to *assume* it won't be resolved before 2.0final.

> That all rises some questions about Open Source at all :-(

Well, take heart:  probably more for us than for you.  There Will Always Be
a Python in Your Pocket.

can't-kill-the-language-at-this-point-but-at-least-one-of-
    us-developers-is-probably-mortal-ly y'rs  - tim