Python 2.0b1 is released!

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Tue Sep 12 05:54:48 EDT 2000

[Tim]
> I may not be a lawyer, but I've met enough judges to know they
> don't take kindly to presumptions the law is for sale.

[Kent Polk]
> That is simply because they don't appreciate it being pointed out
> that they are at most only once removed from that statement.

Matters not a bit:  if they don't take kindly to the basis of your argument,
you lose.  In my day, the Chicago 7 proved that beyond all doubt <wink>.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/Chicago7/chicago7.html

MR. WEINGLASS:  Your Honor, I would want at this time, because I sincerely
and honestly feel that the Court realizes that its position with respect to
the jailing of Dave Dellinger is indefensible in law--

THE COURT:  I will not hear you further on that motion.

MR. WEINGLASS:  Well, your Honor, you are keeping a man in custody, and you
are not permitting a lawyer to make an argument for his freedom.  THis is
unheard of.  That is unprecedented in law.

THE COURT:   I ask you to sit down sir.

MR. WEINGLASS:  Your honor knows--

THE COURT:  Mr. Marshall, will you ask that man to sit down?

MR. WEINGLASS:  You have no authority for taking that man's freedom away,
and you will not let me make a legal argument on his behalf.

MR. SCHULTZ:  That is disgraceful.

MR. WEINGLASS:  That is disgraceful.

MR. KUNSTLER:  Your Honor, I said yesterday you were vindictive, you are
doing this because he spoke.  You told us on Thursday, you waited for the
opportunity.

THE COURT:  Have that man sit down.  I will hear no further argument on this
motion.

MR. HOFFMAN:  You put him in jail because you lost faith in the jury system.
I hear you haven't lost a case before a jury in twenty-four tries.  Only the
Corbiasin people got away.  We're going to get away, too.  That's why you're
throwing us in jail now this way.  Contempt is a tyranny of the court, and
you are a tyrant.  That's why we don't respect it.  It's a tyrant.

THE COURT:  Mr. Marshall, will you ask the defendant Hoffman to remain
quiet?

MR. HOFFMAN:  Schtunk.

MR. RUBIN:  You are a tyrant, you know that.

MR. HOFFMAN:  The judges in Nazi Germany ordered sterilization.  Why don't
you do that, Judge Hoffman?

MARSHAL DOBKOWSKI:  Just keep quiet.

MR. HOFFMAN:  We should have done this long ago when you chained and gagged
Bobby Seale.  Mafia-controlled pigs.  We should have done it.  It's a shame
this building wasn't ripped down.

THE COURT:  Mr. Marhall, order him to remain quiet.

MR. HOFFMAN:  Order us?  Order us?  you got to cut our tongues out to order
us, Julie.  You railroaded Seale so he wouldn't get a jury trial either.
Four years for contempt without a jury trial.

THE MARSHAL:  Shut up.

MR. HOFFMAN:  No, I won't shut up.  I ain't an automaton like you.  Best
friend the blacks ever had, huh?  How many blacks are in the Drake Towers?
How many are in the Standard Club?  How many own stock in Brunswick
Corporation?

THE MARSHAL:  Shut up.

THE COURT:  Bring in the jury, please.

[another day, another argument]

THE COURT:  Where are the defendants?

THE COURT:  May the record show defendants Hoffman and Rubin came in at
1:28, attired in what might be called collegiate robes.

MR. RUBIN:  Judges' robes, sir.

A DEFENDANT:  Death robes.

THE COURT:  Some might even consider them judicial robes.

MR. RUBIN:  Judicial robes.

THE COURT:  Your idea, Mr. Kunstler?  Another one of your brilliant ideas?

MR. KUNSTLER:  Your Honor, I can't take credit for this one.

THE COURT:  That amazes me.

ah-those-were-the-days-ly y'rs  - tim